Saturday, September 6, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: In Which I Begin the Race Against Time

Orange may very well be the smallest fabric collection in my stash.  I tend to buy yellow for my younger sister, so it has a nice presence, but it's pretty clear I favor cool colors over warm.  Fortunately, slim pickings means cutting a 4" strip from each was a quick task that didn't hurt my wrist.

This week, I have a completed top to present.  These Carrie Nation blocks have been on my mind for over a year.  I had originally planned to make six blocks from each color, but when I laid them out after the first few months, I really wanted to make them in rows rather than scrambled.  That means I needed eight of each, so I did a bit of catch up, and I love the results.


I particularly love the orange and red, which seem to glow.  I must have some pretty awesome scraps!

I've already pieced a brown backing from stash and plan to use simple diagonal quilting to keep it fast and soft.  I have two queen-sized quilts to finish first, but I would love to finish this quilt before Miss G arrives (in approximately five weeks).  What should I do for binding?  I don't have a rainbow stripe or anything fun like that and don't really want to do a complicated pieced binding.  Black?  Cream?

This will be one of the four needed teacher quilts.  It makes me feel better to know one is almost finished since I never know how I can get back to quilting after a baby is born.  JoJo was an excellent napper, so I returned to quilting quickly, but after the Assistant was born, it was a long time before I quilted again.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

18 comments:

scraphappy said...

Beautiful! I love the rows of color, such a nice setting. I've never had much luck with rainbow stripes as binding or setting on rainbow quilts, though I keep trying for sure. How about a nice grey? It is a versatile neutral with brights.

Karen said...

Your whole quilt glows and sparkles.

Marly said...

I love your Carrie Nation Quilt, it sparkles, especially the light blue section
I think I'd use a brown binding, as you've got a brown backing, and brown is a mix of all three primary colours, so should unobtrusively blend with all. Otherwise cream.
I'll be thinking of you in the coming weeks. Take care.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh what a great quilt! I like your idea of simple quilting on it. As for the binding I like Angela's suggestion of gray, but black would be my second choice.

Vicki W said...

I love this quilt! It does glow. For binding I think I'd try out something in your background tones. Beiges maybe?

Vicki W said...

I love this quilt! It does glow. For binding I think I'd try out something in your background tones. Beiges maybe?

Cathy said...

Oh, that is gorgeous! I'm color challenged and border challenged so no suggestions from me. Looks like you have some good ones so far.

make.share.give said...

This is so pretty! Love it!

Kerri K said...

This quilt is so awesome! Love it!

Nell's Quilts said...

The stripes of colour are spectacular. The whole quilt glows with light. All of the suggestions for binding sound good. Auditioning will tell the tale!

Sally Trude said...

You have laid it out so beautifully. How about a binding with multiple colors--that includes a strip of each color. Or changes on each side?

Quiltdivajulie said...

First choice would be scrappy binding that incorporates all the colors in your quilt . . . aside from that, I would go with brown over black (less harsh and warmer in tone).

Edith said...

This Carrie Nation quilt is beautiful, I think it says cream binding to me. Lovely job.

Chantal said...

WOW! Great job! This quilt is making think I should join RSC instead of just looking. Congrats.

Angie said...

Love how this came out - it does indeed sparkle! I think you could bind it in almost any color, or a print with multiple colors. I'd stay away from black though, 'cuz blacks tend to fade so quickly.

Deb A said...

What a great top you are making! Hope you are successful in meeting your goals.

Mystic Quilter said...

Wow, you have a real glowing quilt here.

Sheila said...

This is such a neat block. Love your colorful quilt top.

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...